PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320: What "additional procedures" are you considering when reaching the STS page?
Old 29th Jan 2021, 21:36
saviboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainMongo
I was PF, we were flying into an airport with some terrain, coordinating the go around with tower was a goat rope (You want to do what? Why? Where?) Further coordination with approach control was bothersome but not as bad as with tower. Of course fuel was an issue, probably more of a self imposed issue, we had about :40 mins of loiter left. Transferring control didn’t seem like a good idea time during that period. I also didn’t want to delay starting the procedure because of my self imposed fuel deadline. (Sounds like a bunch of excuses, but that is what was happening and what I was thinking)

I agree however that in virtually all circumstances transferring aircraft control to the FO is the appropriate course of action during a non normal.
The problem with that approach (FO PF and Captain manages the abnormal) is that Fo's are less proficient at managing ECAM and if/when the right DU's are inop, FO has to manage the ECAM with very limited experience.
I still think following manufacturer guidance is better in that case. Just my opinion.