PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Class E changes
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2021, 01:35
extralite

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
"Hi Extralite - I assumed from your post that you were IFR and required to depart in IMC for a penetration of Class E at 1500 feet AGL also in IMC. Under US rules you would get the clearance on the ground via HF or telephone and it would come with a altitude limit and clearance expiry time."

But this isn't the USA and we have so little traffic compared to most areas of the USA. It works fine as is..Quite a lot of aircraft are not HF equipped. I know mine aren't. So assuming we wanting to go IMC sometime in the climb, we will need a clearance. It is back to a phone call, if i can get through (some areas don't have good phone coverage on all networks) to ATC for a clearance. As per my post, having most IFR aircraft in regional areas on the phone getting clearances and then the frequency becoming cluttered as traffic information passed on for every aircraft that has phoned in the last 20 minutes or whenever it is, is a backwards step making flying just that more complex again. I would also guess there might be a bit of cloud busting while aircraft are "VMC" and so VFR until the getting a clearance in the climb.

The more i think about it, the sillier the idea is unless it is for the coastal strip where traffic is higher and contacting ATC on the ground easier. Still patchy though. Tyagrah airfield, only about 30k's from the Gold Coast, doesnt have ATC on the ground for example.