PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL JOBSWORTHS
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2021, 19:26
alfaman

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Marly Lite
Folks,

Firstly, let me apologise for being so err..., vociferous! (I really am turning into my old man!!)

secondly, thanks for your replies.

I guess what I am really saying is, how is it that the likes of, say, Leeds respond with: good evening C/S XX, here's your squawk here's your airspace crossing you asked for in exchange for a heading or level modification and have a nice night" (or I might help you if I am able...)

and Bristol....literally not even allowed to get a request in. (Don't ask, I'm not going to help).

Is this a shift in attitude; a shift in regulatory framework; or a shift in what is expected of the modern controller?

I could understand it if it was a London-based agency. Never had this before, always got a pleasant reply even if it was: sorry mate too busy today.
comes to us all in time. I can't add much detail, but with Leeds & Bristol, you're dealing with different ATC providers: how they operate, within the regulatory framework that everyone operates within, will be set by the airport. The difference could be as simple as the time of day - it might be the person manning the radio in the quiet periods is not licenced to provide the service you're after: that might be because the airport isn't expecting any of their own traffic. My understanding is that Bristol, in particular, has changed it's hours of operation in light of the current situation. It may also be that the unit that seems the most appropriate to the area you're in, may not be the one delegated to deal with traffic in that area. For instance, Farnborough deals with most of the class G traffic in the Luton/Stansted area, not necessarily Luton, Stansted or Essex - so not intuitively who you'd think. Best advice is to give Bristol a ring, normal office hours, then you're more likely to get someone who can help.