PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Radio Procedures at/near Ballina - CASA
Old 16th Jan 2021, 01:37
Mr Approach

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks TIEW - I understand the complexities, particularly in the US. However even there the Class D "VFR Tower" model allows for a simple operating environment, with minimal electronic assistance; the expensive equipment and the big pay cheques are kept in the Centres who separate the IFR aircraft.

The much-loved FS system, of which you were part, was overtaken by technology (see Pinky's comments). Apart from the elements that Pinky loved, the FS system still exists but is now utilising display screens with transponder/ADS-B information available, and the operators are also qualified ATCs who can in the same shift operate a control sector. A huge number of your colleagues made the transition and many still hold senior positions in the ATC Towers and Centres.

My view, often expressed on PPrune is that traffic information is the most basic of air traffic services. It may have served us well last century but the volumes and types of aircraft in the system are now larger and more complex. There is still a place for traffic information but Australia needs a graduated response as traffic levels increase so that something can be put in place before Class C airspace and an Airservices tower are needed! Regretably CASA and Airservices have painted themselves into a corner by opposing, for 30 years, everything that Dick wanted to introduce. Mangalore should change all that but I have no faith that the ATSB will say the things they ought to say - they are after all part of the same "deep state" apparatus that runs Australian aviation