PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Khe Sanh Descents..
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2003, 21:46
SALAD DODGER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A TRUE STORY!:

Even though the Khe Sanh missions were some of the most difficult ever for USAF airlifters, they were not without moments of humor. On flight, a C-130 pilot from Naha, Okinawa was getting a flight check. The Stan/Eval pilot went in back to help with the off-loading and up-loading of wounded Marines. Enemy mortar and artillery shells were falling on the base, with each subsequent volley getting closer and closer to the C-130A. When a shell hit close enough to throw shrapnel into the side of the airplane, the pilot decided it was time to leave. He began a fast taxi toward the runway, unaware that the flight examiner had for some reason left the airplane. The FE saw the airplane start to taxi and ran to catch it. He ran after the airplane and managed to grab the end of the ramp, but had to let go when his clothes began to rip away and the heels wore off of his jungle boots. Later, he caught a ride back to Cam Rhan on another C-130. That evening he ran into the pilot he had been checking earlier in the day. "Well, I guess we can call your check ride complete. You run a hell of a tight ship. But, I do have one criticism - your predeparture briefing leaves A LOT to be desired."

I BET HE DESERVED IT .... FEEL SORRY FOR THE NEXT CREW.

(Taken from a great article by Sam McGowan) http://www.spectrumwd.com/c130/articles/khesanh.htm