PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rejected Take-Off and Flight Time
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2020, 11:15
Checkboard

Received 122 Likes on 59 Posts
I’m just glad to see there are schools out there who are teaching static rpm these days. I come across so many pilots who aren’t aware of this parameter in a fixed pitch prop or what over/under speed of this means.
This.

Even today in the airbus, when I hit take off power I personally run down the engine guages at the start of the take off roll ... Eight, Six, Nine, Three. (and matching left/right needles).

80-something% N1, Six hundred somethingºC EGT, 90-something% N2, and 3 thousand something fuel flow. That's a personal thing, a "reasonable-ness" check not a company SOP, and if it isn't 8-6-9-3 then it's enough to trigger me to wonder why (i.e. sometimes it's 90-something% and 7 hundred somethingºC on a heavy take-off).

I notice in Low-Thrust / mis-set thrust accidents and incidents, very rarely is there recognition of the low thrust, or a trigger to do something about it. For Example: Air Florida Flight 90 (Winter Potomac river crash)
15:59:32 CAM-1 Okay, your throttles.
15:59:35 [SOUND OF ENGINE SPOOLUP]
15:59:49 CAM-1 Holler if you need the wipers.
15:59:51 CAM-1 It's spooled. Really cold here, real cold.
15:59:58 CAM-2 God, look at that thing. That don't seem right, does it? Ah, that's not right. [Presumably a comment on the thrust setting]
16:00:09 CAM-1 Yes it is, there's eighty.
16:00:10 CAM-2 Naw, I don't think that's right. Ah, maybe it is.
16:00:21 CAM-1 Hundred and twenty.
16:00:23 CAM-2 I don't know.
16:00:31 CAM-1 V1. Easy, V2.— Transcript, Air Florida Flight 90 Cockpit Voice Recorder
The aircraft crashed into the Potomac river with two good engines - just set with low power all the way to the crash.