PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747 pilot recalls
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2020, 04:19
Gnadenburg

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by swh
What makes you think others have not worked for airlines that have closed their doors in the past ?
That comes over a little smug though I'm hoping more ignorance. Otherwise, did you tell your 49er mates to harden up?

The percentage of KA pilots who have, as you've suggested, worked for failed airlines is very high. Pandemic aside, leaving no professional opportunities, difficult markets and difficult repatriation- without breaching non-disclosure agreements, the off-boarding process has been challenging. That's why I invited CX pilots to chat their KA mates and have a very frank conversation about the process. Although I hope it is, this may not be over by a long shot. The new contract will give no breathing space for many pilots and their families, if what's left of the formal off-boarding procedure, is bungled by stretched resources. Your union must be onto this? Talking to the DPAC at a minimum for a heads up? Any further assistance that the CX Group may wish to receive from the Government, is this time around likely to involve more formal protections of local labour. Further redundancies may well be on the cards.

KA pilots were well prepared for the most part, to take this on the chin. The process has been made needlessly stressful beyond most airline collapses and with that there's a pandemic. Sprouting a distorted version of the "Death & Dying" grief cycle or a recommendation to read "Who Moved My Cheese" would seem more than obnoxious. Who knows how many CX pilots may be facing similar in 2021 and without their COS offering as much as what KA pilots received? Again I'd suggest to be a bit kinder.