PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rejected Take-Off and Flight Time
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2020, 00:00
captaincorrigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rejected Take-Off and Flight Time

Hi all,

I recently rejected a take-off prior to rotation in a C172 as PIC due to abnormal engine RPM and taxied back to parking. After performing a static full power check with an instructor, it was confirmed that it was below the POH specified take-off RPM range.

My question is; should this be recorded as flight time in my log book? I would think so but the advice I’ve received is that it isn’t clear cut and it may not necessarily be the case.

It was obviously a very short exercise and I’m not concerned about losing the tiny amount of PIC time.

My primary consideration here is compliance with the CASR:

REG 61.345
(3) The person must, as soon as practicable after completing each flight, record the following information in the person's logbook for the flight:
(f) the flight time (if any) flown in each of the following capacities:
(i) pilot in command;

REG 61.010
"flight time" as:
(a) a pilot: see regulation 61.080;

REG 61.080 - A person's flight time as a pilot is:
(a) the duration of the following flights:
(i) a solo flight by the person;

REG 61.010 defines the “duration” of a flight as
(a) for a flight in an aeroplane or gyroplane--the time from the moment the aircraft begins moving, whether or not under its own power, in preparation for flight until the moment it comes to rest at the end of the flight;

It was also a significant learning experience in making a quick command decision to ensure the safety of the flight and the purpose of the logbook is to serve as a record of your experience as a pilot. What would you do in this situation?