PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unintentional Flight Into IMC.
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2020, 18:28
Prop swinger

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot DAR
I am not an experienced glider pilot, but I can say that few airplanes will find straight and level flight hands off in a useful way. I certainly would not think of letting go as a tool for when I upset the plane. Long period return to more level flight could involve an overspeed, or overshoot of the desired better attitude. It is simply the responsibility of the pilot to avoid flying into conditions for which the plane or their skills are not adequate.
To be certified for cloud flying (which this type is) the manufacturer must show that the type is speed limiting with full airbrake in a 45 degree dive. Gliders don't have the room for the full range of redundancy a certified IFR capable powered aircraft does. If you lose the instruments, or just lose it, the standard recovery (assuming that the glider was properly trimmed in the first place) is to open full airbrake and let go of the stick. The glider will eventually settle down in a speed limited low-ish G spiral dive. Not something I would want to do with the cloudbase so close to the ground but perfectly OK if you know you have the room.