PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TBM 700 accidents
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2003, 02:18
eyeinthesky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without wanting to divert this thread like the original one got diverted...

Am I the only one who finds these threads offering hundreds of 'condolences' somewhat nauseating?

Any untimely death is a tragedy to those who know the victims or those connected with them, and the fact that it is an aircraft accident perhaps makes it a bit too close for comfort to this fraternity. However, why do so many people feel the need to offer 'condolences' to families of people they have never and probably will never know? It is not to make those families feel better, but in some way to make the offerers feel better.

When Princess Diana was killed, there was a massive outpouring of 'national grief' and thousands of eulogies by people who had never met, been helped by, or even seen the lady. I bet many of those were formerly as keen as many others to buy the tabloids which printed long-lens pictures of her trying to get on with her life. They found such snatched indiscretion titillating or fascinating, but suddenly, when she is dead, they join the bandwagon in saying how sorry they are and what a great lady she was.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not diminishing genuine grief, but I find it hard to understand why some feel that it is necessary to express their 'condolences' just because it is an aircraft accident. We don't see threads running offering condolences to the families of soldiers killed in Iraq or the latest victim of a road accident.

Why are aircraft accidents different, other than for reasons that they might one day happen to us? If that is the case, then discussion of the possible reasons at an early stage is healthy and has no negative impact upon the official investigation. If, by sharing our experiences, opinions or fears we can make each other a little more careful or aware of the issues and maybe prevent a future accident, then that has to be healthy. It is in no way disrespectful to those who have died. We should try to learn from their deaths, not hide behind sentimentality.

Now ducking behind the parapet...