PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABC: Pilot Recency
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2020, 19:05
Plank Cap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking personally having just returned to the coal face after eight months' furlough.........

I'm being afforded 7 sim sessions and a few less flights under the supervision of the company's training department. After sim session number 4 I still feel ... rusty, uncurrent and procedurally slow. The actual manipulation of the aircraft doesn't feel too bad, subjectively, but getting back up to speed with the SOP knowledge is taking a while. In reality my manual handling probably peaked about twenty years ago and has been on a downward slide ever since.

Just plain forgetting stuff is always an issue even for guys who remain current, now add the usual number of changes to the operation our lot seem to like introducing routinely, and a break from operating of over 8 months, whilst in my mid 50's, and it's blatantly obvious how lack of currency affects one's competence. And to some degree confidence.

Some of the trainers get it, some don't. That's ok though, always take the rough with the smooth. At this stage of my career I'm not out for brownie points, just happy to still be employed when so many colleagues have been let go forever. Hopefully looking forward to feeling sharp again (well, moderately!) and hoping to deliver a sufficient level of professionalism to keep going.

Best wishes to all.
​​​​​​​