PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual attitudes
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2020, 10:11
deltahotel

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For my 23 years of military life UPs (unusual positions) were dealt with by first looking at speed and then applying or removing power as required. This worked really well for all the types I flew but none of them had the massive pitch power couple of modern jets.

When I started my civ career (20+ years ago). I found UPRT really difficult and counterintuitive and it took a while to fully appreciate the strength of that pitch power couple. TBH I still find it slightly counterintuitive (very hard to put aside hard learnt techniques). Fortunately I have Mr Boeing’s Big Book of Aviation (FCTM) and my company derived manual (QRH, manoeuvres section) to guide me so that as a line pilot, TRI, TRE I can fly, instruct and examine in a very simple fashion. Also fortunate is that Mr Boeing’s recoveries are pretty simple:

If you’re stalled, sort that out first.
Pitch to the horizon.
Sort out the subsequent shambles
Use trim if needed but be careful with its use to avoid losing elevator authority.
If you want to, apply bank to assist with lowering the nose.
If nose low, roll wings level before pitching up.
Power is not a priority to start with and may be used to assist pitching if required, so with nose high you may choose to reduce power.
If you’re slow, be very careful with application of power or you risk pitching into a stall.

For more grown up phrasing refer to the 737 recovery in an earlier post, which is pretty much also the 75/76 technique.

Our current sim schedule includes UPRT, on this cycle nose high, with and without bank. Fortunately we have a brand new sim with some nice frozen presets which is making this exercise simple and, I hope, productive.

I don’t work at the light ac end of UPRT training so my insight into suitability of ac is poor, but GtE’s comment s in #62 make sense to me.

HtH, dh