PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Muted
Thread: Muted
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2020, 09:08
mad757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropp the Pilot

The most vociferous ones were culled. When I looked at the names of those that were made redundant it was people I thought had a backbone and would stand their ground. For those that were 'lucky' and stayed they have witnessed an escalation of the climate of fear with the introduction of a system to measure the performance metrics of pilots. I may be wrong but it isn't just the piloting skills being measured, but things like sickness, medical usage, DEWA usage etc. Creating a metric such as this for pilots means no one will speak out for fear of being placed in the lowest scoring group who are most likely to be made redundant next time. Fantastic system for a numbers driven organisation such as EK but completely flawed on many levels if you examine the idea closely. Definitely a system introduced by very clever accountants, problem is they tend to ignore things that can't be measured such as experience. The cost of everything but the value of nothing. There are also definite flight safety implications if indeed such an atmosphere has been introduced, no one operates to the best of their abilities under such pressure. I have a great deal of sympathy for those still there, EK pilots are some of the best in the world just a terrible shame about the management.....

Sorry for the digression but essentially they are all too scared to say anything! And I don't blame them. The underlying threat of losing your job has a massive impact on behaviour!

If those that were so cruelly cast out feel as I do then they are probably mildly relieved and are glad to be home, glad to have the foot of a vindictive, inept management off our necks and busily making plans for the inevitable upswing in aviation or new careers. I think we are the lucky ones.......