PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual attitudes
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2020, 23:05
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Fl1ingfrog
You make an interesting point.

There can be little doubt that the basic principles of the stall may be demonstrated well using a light aircraft. It is not the case that UPRT training can be achieved in a light aircraft in my view. Stall recovery is mentioned only as an aside in the various UPRT manuals. The FAA documents and others so far quoted concern themselves very much with the interoperability of the complex automated systems and the pilot. That for me is where the work should be concentrated, and is, because the avoiding and the recovery from the stall by the pilot is not possible when the automation is preventing it or, indeed, is the cause. The error has often been the pilot pushing the wrong button. The training managers of airlines that I have spoken to did not see the value of throwing their pilots about in a Extra 300 as being useful.
Upside down is upside down regardless of how large the aircraft is. I think experiencing the physical sensations of the upset is important for all pilots who do not already have aerobatic flight experience. That being said the unfortunate tendency for a push to "one size fits all" training "solutions" can lead pilots down the garden path. UPRT taught as intended does, I believe, add tools to the pilots tool box; but still need to be put into context with aircraft specific training particularly for large aircraft