PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ab Initio Smart Lynx & BAA
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2020, 20:26
PilotLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The part of Smartlynx which provides extra capacity to airlines will be idling until summer 2022 even in the most optimistic scenario, I think. No airline will need additional capacity this year or next year, even if we see the end of the public health crisis and a normalisation of travel rules by this time next year.

What's left then? The two freshly converted A321 freighters, some flights for tour agencies in Latvia and Estonia (if demand is high enough to justify a full charter flight instead of just blocking some seats on a scheduled one) and some ad-hoc work here and there. Not much. Hence, I doubt that they'll offer the same number of pilot jobs as in 2019 for a good couple of years, let alone expand on that. May I be proved wrong on this one though.

Also, do bear in mind that in previous years one-year renewable agency contracts with up to two months of mandatory unpaid leave in the winter were the norm with Smartlynx. I'm not saying that an open-term job contract would add a lot of job security these days, but at least it will make your life easier when applying for a loan, a mortgage or a lease purchase of a car.