PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Impulse Pilots - What A Deal!
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2003, 17:55
FatEric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gnadenburg

There was a time when working for Ansett that I thought experience was vitally important.

Having moved to the big wide world I now realize that my thousands of hours of Airbus experience count for little with many operators. I am just an FO and have no more value than the 200-hour cadet.

I don’t enjoy my present job gnad, thanks for your concern and if asked, would consider moving back to oz to work for LCC.

BUT – I also realize that the fellahs at Impulse will be able to get the Airbus up and running without to much help – probably with greater ease than when AN first purchased the 320 back in ye olden days. The transition from glass 717 to 320 will probably be easier than the old folks at AN going 727 to 320. How many direct entry type rated people did AN need to employ back when the bus arrived. Bubkis. Zero. Donut. Zip. Nada. The big donut.

Many crashes you refer to were years ago when the technology in the 320 was new and completely unfamiliar to most pilots. AI was totally un prepared for the misunderstandings that occurred on line that resulted in Airbus accidents. Most of these accidents have been resolved through better training, better manuals and hardware/software upgrades. Some of the later accidents you refer to will happen in an airbus, a Boeing or even on your uncle’s bicycle. What you and I are usually unaware of is how many accidents were avoided as a RESULT of the level of technology in FBW aircraft – 777 included. I would suggest the number is very high.

Yes it’s easy to pole and I also think when operated correctly it’s no harder to manage than most aeroplanes. The ease of hand flying gives more time to the pilot to manage the operation.

“Some of your posts indicate that Airbus uses technology to eclipse experience. . . “

It does. Of course technology is utilized to enable airlines to make use of a lowering of experience in the industry since the sixties. The skill sets required to fly an A320 are far less than those required to fly an older generation of aircraft. Take a look at the number of accidents with 737/727/707/DC9/DC8 aircraft from 1960 –1980 compared to these days. The accident rate is far lower.

“ . . . Be careful. This may erode your conditions and limit the opportunity to come home.”

Yes. You are correct. But how will my “being careful” increase the opportunity to “come home”.

“I think your wrong, belittling the profession and ignoring the safety issues of introducing very different technology”

Firstly, I have in no way indicated that I would suggest ignoring safety issues. I hope that Impulse pilots are trained to a high standard – nothing so far suggests that they will not be.

Secondly, I am not belittling our profession – I am being realistic. In most parts of the world, pilots are recruited to fly glass jets with little or no previous experience. Some of the world’s safest airlines recruit mostly cadet pilots. It is a fact that in many airlines, the FO flying you to your holiday destination in your A320 or 777 was in university 2 years ago wondering what an airliner looked like.

My comments regarding Impulse pilots being short on experience were in regard to 1900 drivers – I doubt they will be allowed to jump into the LHS of the bus.

Last edited by FatEric; 7th Dec 2003 at 19:12.