PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual attitudes
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2020, 20:15
Miles Magister

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Rivet G

I understand what you have written and perhaps should have included more detailed instruction for teaching the element in my comment.
The EASA reference is a regulation and not a technique. Speed high and increasing means that if you are about to exceed limits then you must close the throttle to avoid doing so as manoeuvring above Vne or possibly even Va may cause structural failure.

I, in my personal opinion of over 40 years of instructing and unit test flying, strongly disagree with "(E) accept the priority of rolling to wings level first, before reducing power and before pulling." as it is quite likely to lead to a situation where the average pilot exceeds limitations, causes structural failure or is unable to handle the developing situation. Personal opinion just as the way stall recovery used to be taught dangerously incorrect in the civilian environment.

I once did actually have to recover from an unexpected inverted attitude at low level in the dark in cloud, and believe me the process I stated works very well indeed. I have used the process in in fast pointy things, big four engine things and most things in between.

I do not wish to get into an internet spat, but there are times when experience is valuable and attached is a copy from one of the best instructors manuals ever written. Take it for the good will in which it is intended or reject it as you please.19. Unusual Positions.

a.Definition. An unusual position (UP) is defined as any attitude which is different from the one the pilot expected the aircraft to be in. This does not necessarily mean that the aircraft is in an extreme attitude, but it does mean by definition that the pilot is disorientated - i.e. the attitude is other than the one the pilot sensed or was last aware of.

b. Height Awareness. The first action in any UP must be to assess the height available for recovery. Considerable height may be lost during recovery from a UP, and it is therefore equally important to continually monitor the height as the recovery progresses, in order to make a timely abandonment decision if necessary. Always carry out the HASELL checks before practising UP recoveries.

c. Causes of a UP. The most likely reason for being in a UP is inattention to attitude control while carrying out cockpit tasks. Less likely but possible reasons are an insidious AH failure which has gone unnoticed, or inadvertently entering cloud from aerobatics or a spin recovery. In these cases limited panel techniques will need to be used.

d. Recovery. When teaching recovery from UPS, build up progressively from gentle UPS to the more extreme attitudes. Make the student's initial practises direct repeats of your demonstrations. The recovery from a UP should be taught as follows:

(1) Monitor height.

(2) Check speed.

If low or decreasing, apply full power.

If high or increasing, throttle to idle.

(3) Bank. Roll wings level on the AH.

(4) Pitch. Pitch to the level flight attitude on the AH.

(5) Adjust power as required and trim.

(6) Cross check the performance instruments to confirm S&L.

(7) Throughout the recovery monitor height. Check safety altitude and climb if necessary.

e.After Recovery. After recovery, teach the student to check height again and ensure this above safety altitude. He should then determine how he got into a UP (and resolve not to repeat it). Finally, remember that the toppling limits of the DI may have been exceeded, so synchronise the DI before correcting to a quadrantal flight level.
MM

Last edited by Miles Magister; 6th Dec 2020 at 20:37.