PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual attitudes
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2020, 16:03
Miles Magister

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with GtE absolutely. Not only the G issue but applying aileron increases the AoA of both wings and if there is G or AoA present the application of aileron may well cause one or both wings to exceed the stalling AoA. This could well be why civilian aircraft, particularly business jets, have been known to flick during turbulence recovery. Every single time I have encountered turbulence when a civilian trained pilot was flying the first thing they did was to apply aileron, absolutely without fail.

The traditional Hight, Speed, G, Roll, Pitch (without the Height as you can not abandon a civilian aircraft) works perfectly every time for every aircraft you will ever fly.

I also hear pilots who were trained in civilian simulators suggesting that it is correct to first assess your attitude and then you can rudder the nose down before rolling and pulling, please never ever do this.

Also to add to GtE comment above, not only are the wings not designed to sustain the additional G forces of roiling and pulling but the fin is not designed for significant sideways loads.

Please stick to the traditional way mentioned above and taught by well trained instructors every time.

SPEED, high and increasing close the throttle, low and decreasing apply power.
G, unload to approximately 1g
ROLL, the wings to the nearest horizon
Then centralise the ailerons before;
PITCH, to the horizon
Then
Check height, climb to above MSA if necessary, establish normal S+L flight, check your instruments, check your O2/pressurisation, establish why you got into the upset or unusual position.

All of the above are completely separate manoeuvres and you must NEVER attempt to complete more than one item at a time.

MM