PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Displaced Local Crew
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2020, 08:41
Gordomac

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Do you ex-pat fellas need Resident Visas too ? The RV in places I have worked is issued only if you have a Work Visa. Two go hand in hand, of course and is usually a rubber-stamping procedure conducted by the Company seeking to employ. That no local is available for the job has also been an 'underlying' issue but obvious to the Immigration Offices otherwise the company would not be seeking the RV and EV in the first place.

US was and still is like this. For a work permit, one had to convince the immigration dept that there was no other US Citizen who could do the work and was available. Loopholes in ever scenario of course.

Many will know of my demise in the ME. Employer, basically wanted me off the campus. Allowed me to go on leave even though my RV & EV were expiring while away. They assured me all the paperwork was in place and that it would be taken care of. Boss even told me to go ahead and enjoy my California holiday and let him know if there were any jobs going (!) Off I went. Gotcha.

Upon return, RV & EV had not been renewed & after begging & pleading, got back in on a Visit Visa. I was now a visitor with no right to employment or residency.

After a lot of hassle ( or is it 'halas' - ?) I got the boot. Company claimed that it was the Immigration Dept that was refusing to give me a Employment Visa or Resident Visa as I was now a 'Visitor'.

Wish you very unsettled chaps a much better outcome & trust CX play a much more Gentlemanly game.