PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual attitudes
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2020, 20:27
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I entirely agree with RetiredBA/By and Big Pistons forever. All of what is outlined in the ICAO quotation above is fully detailed in the steep turn training exercises within the ab-initio syllabus. Can anybody tell me what "upset" actually means in this context; i.e. why was this word chosen, does anybody know? I am familiar with the ICAO and the EASA UPRT syllabus, it isn't that that I'm after.

So in old fashioned terms;
Today you will learn to understand the relationship of power plus attitude such that the required outcome is predictable and never in doubt.
Today you will learn to understand the application of the flaps and undercarriage (if applicable) such that the outcome is predictable and never in doubt.
Today you will learn to understand, prevent and recover from an unintended stall such that the required outcome is predictable and never in doubt.
Today you will learn to understand, prevent and recover from an unintended onset of a spin such that the required outcome is predictable and never in doubt. ,
Today you will learn to understand, prevent and recover from an unintended spiral dive such that the required outcome is predictable and never in doubt.

Now, it is true to say that an important part of upset training, they say, is the response to surprise. But, isn't anything described as 'unintended' going to be a surprise? What is it that the advocates of upset training do not understand so have reinvented the wheel or is this me and obviously some others somehow left behind in the dark?

Last edited by Fl1ingfrog; 5th Dec 2020 at 21:04.