PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual attitudes
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2020, 16:31
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't know how I missed this in the Spring Training.com. I'm shocked to see the CAA once again spouting this nonsense. It takes me back to the nineties when some on the CAA Instructor Panel would say power then attitude for the stall recovery when others would scream in despair and demand attitude then power for the recovery. It was always obvious to me that if the wing was stalled then pitch and unstall the wing was the priority. The priority is the problem. As a fireman will tell you: try to put out the fire first then your wasting valuable time. You must isolate the source first be it fuel or electricity etc or the fire will continue and you may lose control of it. A plumber will tell you to turn off the water first before fixing the leak or you will be quickly in a flood.

This stuff from some at the CAA (I doubt that it has been agreed by all) comes from a light piston twin recovery technique promoted by certain individuals. With a considerable amount of excess power available it is possible to quickly gain speed and thus reduce the A of A that way whilst being able to continue the climb. It was never explained by these people what you should do if you didn't have large amounts of excess power to play with or as with a turbine there may be comparatively some lag.

With regards to roll then it should never be attempted until you have gained speed. The ailerons may still have some effectiveness at the stall but this will be marginal and easily miss-handled. Therefore it is important to gain speed before attempting to roll level. This is made clear in all spin recovery techniques so why should some believe this is to be different for a non spinning stall recovery.

Last edited by Fl1ingfrog; 5th Dec 2020 at 17:00.