PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA plane in near-miss
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2003, 08:39
hostie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final 3 Greens I would just like to point out that I used to live close enough to experience a 747 go down, in fact when KAL crashed my house shook so much I thought the whole airport had been bombed.
It took a long time for the story to hit the press as I was looking to find out what had happened.
However this does not excuse the press and the absolute ineptness of some of their people who open their mouths before engaging brain.
At that time Stansted was swarming with press for months, what with the crash and the hijack, it was near impossible to get to work through all the press vehicles that had taken over the roads to the airport.
I was astounded by some of the most incredible mistakes that these so called knowledgable reporters came out with, my favourite was a BBC reporter discussing how the crew on board the hijacked aircraft would be microwaving the meals for the passengers, I wonder how many times she'd been told to turn her mobile phone off too!?!?!?!?
Basically the reporters are (allegedly) only human, it's up to the controllers and researchers to confirm the facts BEFORE the pieces go to air (or press)
All airlines have press offices, if you know of an incedent that involves your company, the best thing to do is advise your press office, they will send out the information that is relevant and factual that can be used sensibly by the press.
This helps us all!!!