PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - emulating the US?
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2003, 00:41
Chris Higgins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American system unsafe?

Flying since 1983, primary training in Port Macquarie, flown in New Zealand (1988) and in America since 1990......never been in a near-miss incident in the US.

I actually nearly hit a Macchi at Williamtown who was out of the firing range by more than 25 miles in 1989. So close that I could smell the kerosene in the cockpit of the piston single I was flying, (the airframe nearly filled the window).

There is one caveat to the airspace dilemma you are facing, that all VFR pilots comply with reporting procedures and transponders remain on at all times. Additionally, Part 25 turbine aircraft are kept on a descent profile that for the most part alleviates conflicts with VFR traffic. Many of you are correct in your assertations that the American Airspace, (which is actually the ICAO model, not American), does have it's limitations. I would really prefer to have all aircraft on a full reporting basis, whether VFR or not.

Can you imagine trying to get a word in edge-ways going into New York with that proposal though? Really not a practical solution.

A lot of you have been critical of the "American" system and that of your own. Remember, both are inherently different environments. There are less than 10,000 aircraft on the Australian register and the Yanks now have almost 250,000. The Canadians have almost 25,000.

Another interesting set of numbers. The American Airspace System represents more than 48.6% of world traffic, but has less than 7% of the world's accidents. It can't all be just "good luck".

Last edited by Chris Higgins; 7th Dec 2003 at 01:59.