PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bid for a bit of BA surplus stock
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2020, 13:41
MAC 40612

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornish Jack
Carolina Martinoli, British Airways' director of brand and customer experience, said it was the first time the airline had organised such a sale.
Good sales pitch, perhaps, but total tosh. I've still got lots of knick-knacks and crockery items (bowls, hors d'oeuvre dishes etc. ) plus Concorde luggage tags etc.. The Uniform Store always had similar items on sale and the major fleet refurbishments put thousands of catering items on boot-sale stalls. In fairness, the quality was excellent.
I think the point she was trying to make was that it was the first time they had sold off stuff direct to the public. You are correct they had many sales in the past via uniform stores and at Waterside, selling off staff to staff [who were then free to do what they wanted with it, many sold on items]

I can see the sense in selling off a load of items, as with the retirement of the whole B747 fleet and a few of the early B777s, they don't need as many of these items, so why not make a bit of money, after all they're not making much from flying passengers at the moment..