PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 26th Nov 2020, 03:54
theFirstDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a (retired) Controls Electrical Engineer (Sr. Controls and Instrumentation). I designed and implement mega-million dollar systems. But I also know how to wire panels, bend conduit and solder breadboards. My job didn't need me to do it, but as I came up through the ranks (starting as an electrician) I kept my skills up. Others never acquired the manual skills as they jumped from college to design.

I am also a Private Pilot. All my flying is manual. I use VOR's, no ATH, no AP, no FD. Yes, at sometimes I am near overload. I won't fly into some places without a second set of hands / eyes with me. The most amount of automation I have is a Garmin GPS that also will warn me of terrane.

So, how to get the ATP guy some experience other than engaging AP at 400' and just twirling dials until you're on short final? Get yourself in a a piston plane (SE or light twin) and haul VFR around the LAX area. That'll get your PIC skills a workout and give you a boat load of situation awareness, energy management experience and more.

At the very least, it'll be fun again.