PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 26th Nov 2020, 01:21
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingStone
I'm a big fan of hand flying and raw data (latter prohibited by employer unfortunately), but the reality is that (before Covid) we operate in ever busier airspace and at the end of the day, people in the back or shippers of freight pay us to deliver them or their goods safely and efficiently from A to B, not to have fun or to prove to somebody that we still have "what it takes". Could I handle flying raw data in and out of London TMA during a busy morning period? Yes. Is it a smart thing to do in real life, assuming you've got AFDS serviceable? I hope we all agree what the answer should be here.
I've never flown to or from LHR, but assuming it's similar to busy airports here in the US, why not? There are times when JFK or ORD are busier than others- if you feel the need to use automation at that point- have at it. But I disagree with a blanket statement that we don't hand fly at certain airports.

By way of example, going to LAX from the east can be challenging, with multiple speed and altitude constraints on the approach. It's sometimes easier to just press the red buttons than twisting, pushing, pulling, selecting and managing. On top of that, it's heaps of fun!