PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 25th Nov 2020, 16:44
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vilas
Check Airman you missed something from what I said. I said about raising the standard of pilots in raw handling before they come on board and more frequent visits to sim to retain that and not for few minutes, I didn't say that. Real aircraft raw data approach on two engine is easier that raw data with OEI and ATHR OFF in sim. Isn't it all about scan? If someone is terrible on two engines in real aircraft will be all over in the sim also. Those who are starting fresh will need more practice than those who are trying to just maintain it. Besides if opportunity presents practice by all means.
Centaurs, it all started with Bernard Ziegler who said "I am making an aircraft that will not allow pilots to make mistakes. Any one can fly it even my concierge can fly it".
We agree that more frequent sims would be good. My point is that it’s a perishable skill though, so let’s say we visited the sim twice as often, it’d still leave your skills lacking on that last flight the day prior to the sim.

In reality though, you can practice a lot of raw data flying on the line in normal operations. Why visit the sim for something that can safely be done on the line?

PS- I didn’t mean to imply that you said a few minutes a year was sufficient. Apologies. You’re of course correct that somebody who’s new needs more raw data flying. I’d submit that even somebody who’s experienced needs it as well. I’ve watched things fall apart (on the line and in the sim) when an experienced pilot loses the FD.