PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 25th Nov 2020, 13:16
FlyingStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KayPam
But, it would be completely feasible to allow rnav approaches without FDs : just display an HSI : horizontal situation indicator, which would indicate the desired RNAV track, and a lateral deviation bar in nautical miles (instead of degrees on a VOR), and eventually a timer that indicates when to start the turn (like Garmin does). That's it.
The old 737 EFIS classics had this (optionally, I believe). With the world going towards PBN and curved (RF) procedures, this wouldn't be particularly useful.

Originally Posted by pineteam
Yes by regulation you can't do raw data take off for RNAV SID but it's not an excuse. Just request conventional departure!

Simple, just don't fly into any of noise sensitive or busy airports, or airports without conventional SIDs. Easy peasy.

Originally Posted by KayPam
What if a pilot that never flies manually encounters a situation where the airplane reverts to direct law ? It happens, just any failure downgrading to alternate, then gear down will leave you in direct law.

You can do 10 go-arounds in normal law on the A320, yet the one in direct law will have to look significantly different when it comes to control inputs. Apples and oranges.

I'm a big fan of hand flying and raw data (latter prohibited by employer unfortunately), but the reality is that (before Covid) we operate in ever busier airspace and at the end of the day, people in the back or shippers of freight pay us to deliver them or their goods safely and efficiently from A to B, not to have fun or to prove to somebody that we still have "what it takes". Could I handle flying raw data in and out of London TMA during a busy morning period? Yes. Is it a smart thing to do in real life, assuming you've got AFDS serviceable? I hope we all agree what the answer should be here.

PBN is the way forward for noise/fuel/emissions/cost/safety (not necessarily in this order) reasons, whether we like it or not.

Last edited by FlyingStone; 25th Nov 2020 at 17:34.