PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 25th Nov 2020, 09:55
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vilas
Let's view the situation realistically. More and more automation is not an issue of pilots, aeroplanes and Airlines alone. It's the industry's requirement. For optimum utilisation available aviation space is being created for automated Aircraft. You are simply not allowed to fly manually. That should put to rest any discussion who produces a consistent and reliable performance. Humans are there to take over if the present day machines fail to follow the desired flight path. In future machines that will happen less and less. The topic we are discussing is how do we acquire or maintain the skill to do when machine won't do. Obviously in simulator, and once in while in real life where permitted. The days of switching off everything and going from A to B are over. You don't even need it. Only thing is you need to train pilots to higher standards of raw data handling in sim. Also more frequent visits are required. Simulator practice is not as frivolous as thought. I know pilots who have retired with more than 15000hrs on Airbus(with another 5000 on other type) whose only experience of direct law was in simulator. When all major emergencies are only practiced in the Sim with the expectation of handling them in real life what's such a big deal about raw data flying with all engines operating? Modern aircraft are not made for pilot's pleasure or desire of handling. They fulfill industry requirement.
While I have the utmost respect for your knowledge about the A320, I have to respectfully disagree with your operational philosophy.

Perhaps you’re a better pilot than I. I just know that a few minutes in the sim every few months would leave me woefully unprepared should the lights start flashing on a stormy night. On top of that, I find immense satisfaction in turning off the magic and having fun.