PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is automation dependency encouraged in modern aviation ?
Old 25th Nov 2020, 05:32
pineteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Check Airman
How is one expected to keep basic skills that are never utilised? It’s not like riding a bicycle.
Totally agree. I did not fly much this year lately so as much as possible I will do raw data take off and approach. It's so much more fun especially these days with very low traffic.
Yes by regulation you can't do raw data take off for RNAV SID but it's not an excuse. Just request conventional departure!

And I said that before but Airbus recommends to fly raw data in line. Not only in the sim!

Originally Posted by Uplinker

So how to maintain our flying skills? A start would be to mandate a minimum of three fully manually flown raw data approaches every six months - in appropriate conditions - and log them. We used to have to do this with practice Autolands, and a similar protocol could help make manual flying a normal, regular thing.
I was thinking the same! It should be mandatory. Most pilots I know they never fly raw data except in the sim as it's part of the syllabus. People underestimate the skills required to fly raw data. I would like to see a pilot who only flies raw data in the sim flying a raw data in the real plane. Oh wait I saw it, it was terrible.

Last edited by pineteam; 25th Nov 2020 at 05:52. Reason: added one sentence