PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA plane in near-miss
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2003, 20:11
Final 3 Greens

5 Miles

The media pressurising people is another matter - I'm not dismissing this and take a very different view about it - even if justified by a utilitarian approach, there is the matter of individuals circumstances to consider. I also understand some of the challenges faced by an ATCO, especially after the court martial of the RAF officer recently.

The only unease I feel about your post is, without intending to, you are establishing a kind of censorship of the press by seeking to prevent them publishing ... and yes, I do accept that sometimes they go way over the top. It is a shame that there seems to be no official counterbalance - although the BBC did, in fairness, quote BA in a non sensational context.

I do understand TCAS (at least to the level to avoid triggering spurious alarms by sloppy use of the xponder in a light aircraft) and am sure that the incident was handled well - but it was still an incident and thus a legitimate subject to report IMHO.

Maybe we need to agree to disagree on this point - but you do have my sympathies for seeing the aftermath of a crash and in my case, the a/c missed my daughters house by only a few hundred metres, so that shook me somewhat.