PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old blokes who avoid nursing homes and the like
Old 17th Nov 2020, 09:23
john_tullamarine

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
Good folk, the thread was started in good fun after I saw the report.

Far too many oldies give up too early .. "I can't do this, I can't do that" and so on. My maternal grandmother, who could run rings physically around the bulk of her age group, for years prior to her death at close to 100 only wanted to die ... what a waste of talent and capability. Sure, as we age we run the risk of acquiring this or that nasty ailment and, for some, that does slow us down and remove some options. However, for those who can do, but don't (for whatever reason), one can only hold a great deal of sympathy and empathy along with a regret that so many opportunities to grow old disgracefully are passed by. At least the Ulysses folk grab that mantra by the delicates and run (ride) with it.

If I might be a bit of a bore, might I ask that the thread remain in good humour and, hopefully, elicit tales (true and not-so-true) about the disgraceful goings on of older folk which should be the goal of all of us as we run/ride/wander/stagger/whatever into our dotage ....