PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mountain Flying
Thread: Mountain Flying
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2001, 21:02
Heli-Ice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hahahaha.... Yeah those blokes with the bow and arrows, good thing we don't have them here on the Ice.
I think maybe that we are lucky here on the Ice because the highest mountain here is around 7000´ high. Despite that fact one has to take into account the power available to you when working in and around those mountains. The weather here can get a bit hostile and conditions can change at the blink of an eye.

Geronimo 33:
Yes I've done the Icelandic CAA ATPL plotting Exam, I don't know if its any different from the one you are talking about.
We use that plotting practice when going IFR, for VFR we use the chart and the string with the small helicopter at the end of it. Iceland is such a small island and we have a very relaxed flying environment. Not so many navigation facilities for lower airspace flying.
Most of the helicopter flying here is done under VMC as in many other countries.
What kind of operation are you involved in Geronimo33?

The reason for this posting is that I have never flown anywhere else than in Iceland and I wanted to get some information from as many of you on this forum.