PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Fire-fighting (Merged threads)
Old 6th Dec 2003, 07:09
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Arrow

Jim,

PM me for the details. Our's was the only medium using the sling tank last season, so we had a fair swag of teething problems, but they are just about solved. Got the latest mod. bucket last month, and tested it last week.
The fifth pic in the gallery was me on the Hydro Majestic fire last December.

Concept is excellent, especially the selectable load (increase water lift with fuel burn), the selectable drops, and the self contained foam system. Many of the troops thought there was a bucket fault when we'd drop half a load in one spot, then the rest elsewhere! Obviously packs down into significantly less space than an equivalent Bambi + Sacksafoam, and not having the Sacksafoam on board is another plus. Flies well, now quite stable during drops, and fills quickly, including bottom fill in shallow water. More wiring needed to control the system (6 core cable to carry all the functions down to the control head), but the latest cockpit control includes a download function, giving a print out of number of drops and amount dropped, handy to include on those daily/weekly reports to the fire service

We still carry a Bambi as a spare, until the system is totally proven, then I'll get a second DUFAS. Sorry, Sling Tank

Last edited by Heliport; 7th Dec 2003 at 23:15.