PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage 2021
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2020, 14:13
PilotLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed. Some sort of draft timeline for the time being could be:

Now - hit the theoretical knowledge books, with the view of passing the PPL ground exams by the end of Q2 2021. Closer to that time, we'll have a somewhat better idea of whether we have any realistic chance of beating the dreaded lurgy sometime soon. If things start getting somewhat better than dire, get your medical at some point and do the practical (i.e. flying) part of the PPL next summer.

Q4 2021 - revise once again where we stand and have some thoughts about how to continue. If you're still set on doing it, find some cheap C150 and slowly start your hour building. I would say that 5-7 hours per month split into 2-3 flying days should be fine. This way, you won't be putting huge amounts of money into something fairly uncertain and you'll still be current and skilled. At some point during the winter, get your night rating maybe.

Mid-2022 - if it all looks on track to normal life, book your ATPL ground school. No need to book any exams until well into 2023. Whenever you do, leave out the Communications papers last. They are dead easy and can be left as a final session to protract your time line for IR if need be.

Late 2023/early 2024 - consider finalising the exams and the SEP IR/CPL.

Whenever jobs become available in considerable numbers - MEP, ME IR, MCC, JOC.

Conservative? For sure. But that's the safe bet as things stand now.