PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage 2021
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2020, 15:25
Chief Willy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utter rubbish. The european body of pilots is actually relatively young. There is no looming retirement wave in Europe (like there is in the USA). Having spanked £100k-ish on flight training, and having discovered first hand how little our experience is valued by HR/recruiters in other fields, those sadly made redundant are clamouring to get back into the cockpit in my experience. Only a tiny number will start again in other fields. Flying is the only way to make a half-decent living and to pay off astronomical training debts.

As for older pilots retiring early, very few can afford to do that and I have seem little evidence to suggest it. At BA only a handful took early retirement despite a VR package being offered.

CAE obviously want to keep spinning the pilot shortage myth as they stand to profit from all the training, that is their business. Where I work we have no recruitment plans whatsover on any time frame. There is no demand and no one knows just how long it will be until pilots are in demand again, but it will be measured
in years not months.