PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Obtaining Canada CPL on basis ICAO CPL
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2020, 20:45
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are no individual endorsements for the C172 or PA34 in Canada. Respectively, they are covered under the blanket "all single pilot, non-high performance single-engine land aeroplanes" and "all single pilot, non-high performance multi-engine land" ratings.

In Canada, you only obtain an individual type rating where the aircraft requires at least two pilots (including cruise relief, flight engineers, and second officers), any high-performance aircraft, or any aircraft where there is no blanket type rating issued (CAR 421.40(2))

As far as the hours you need, it is easiest to compare your total hours against the licence you are wishing to obtain the FLVC for. In the case of a CPL, you will want to compare against CAR 421.30(4). Technically, you don't have to do this for an FLVC, but because it is only valid for one year, I imagine your intent is to obtain the FLVC in order to do the CPL flight test, and for that, you'll definitely need to meet the minimum number of hours.

Also, you can't just show up for a flight test in Canada. I can't remember what it's called for a licence, but in the airline world we call it "being nominated." The flight school that you will do the flight test at will want to fly with you for at least a couple of hours before they nominate you to the flight test, if for no other reason than to make sure you meet their insurance requirements. They will confirm that you meet the minimum requirements before you're allowed to take the flight test, so don't worry too much as they'll make sure you're all legal.

The thing I'd be most concerned about is making sure you have enough money for between 5 to 10 hours of renting with an instructor before you take the flight test.