PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Army
Thread: European Army
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2020, 17:51
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
Blossy - people (especially those in the UK) have been saying that about the Eu and its various institutions for over 70 years. I think it's time to realise it is a permanent feature of the landscape even if you don't like it.
Asturia,

Until 1993 the EU as we recognise it today didn't exist and the title was different, it was the less ambitious EC European Community, previously the EEC European Economic Community. The latter is what the British voters in 1975 agreed to, what was suggested in the title, economic cooperation. Since the EU appeared, the Brussels commissariat have introduced a single currency and have imposed a raft of laws, ok each member state votes on them, but we can lose against laws our government object to and have to accept, this isn't independence at all. This, I'm sure, is a very similar argument to the one the SNP have for Scottish independence, ie the Scots don't get the overall government they vote for. However, Scotland had been in union with England and Wales since 1707. Recognised as one nation state, the United Kingdom, for essentially defence and economic reasons. The UK, at the point of leaving the EU, was still to all intents and purposes, a sovereign state. My personal belief is those who remain, for better or worse, will become a single nationality, like the British. They will be Europeans and hitherto national governments will continue very much in the role of State/Regional Governor. However, as I understand, it is claimed that the UK were on the losing side of EU law votes only 2% of the time. To take the opposite point of view to Brexit, its a shame that the remain campaign treated the British public with such sweeping contempt, that they didn't emphasize such points, instead of telling everyone they would simply be poor and the country would without EU oversight, for that is what it increasingly is, become insignificant.

FB