PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 crashed Alps
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2020, 14:34
Robbiee

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Torquetalk
I would agree that there are light helicopters better suited to training: the 269; Enstrom and G2, for example. But Robbies are inexpensive and ubiquitous, so they are going to be both used for training and bought for private use. That is the reality to be dealt with.

Robinson in fairness has the factory safety course, offered at a discount. And the SFAR73 regs require more time to qualify on the aircraft than equivalent types.There is nevertheless clearly a training deficit, as the kinds of accidents which befall R44s have a wearisome familiarity. As per previous posts, I believe more focus on performance and the flight envelope, together with targeted CRM could help.

For the record, I would prefer the R44 over an R22. It is a very capable aircraft and has much more energy in the rotor than the R22. Just be aware than when you fly at a higher TOM, the performance margins start to evaporate rapidly requiring good situational awareness.
I have never regretted learning how to fly in an R22,..but I learned after SFAR 73 was initiated, had I started before, maybe I'd feel differently?

Having flown the Schweizer and Enstrom I can definitely agree that they are better suited for training (especially considering the R22 was not designed as a trainer). However, as a renter I am glad that I was able to rent an R22 all those years as it is far more fun to fly than any other small piston I have flown (including the R44).

I cannot speak of the Cabri as I cannot find justification in paying more for just another two seat piston Perhaps if it had air conditioning I'd pick it over the R22 (in the Summer) but come cooler weather I'd be right back in that cheaper (and tons of fun to fly solo) R22!

As for the R44, until another piston comes out with a back seat, it will remain the champion of the private market. That's just simple supply and demand.