PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old Lockheed "Starfighter" story
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2020, 20:00
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 429 Likes on 226 Posts
Originally Posted by hum
I believe I may have been there that day & seen it from a different angle.. I had just taken off on a dual arrival check in a Harrier when Batty in the back suddenly exclaimed ‘I HAVE CONTROL’ .. the aircraft lurched forward alarmingly and I saw (and heard) a very large 104’s Burning reheat pass a few feet over my head, an image I shall never forget..
Fortunately JB in the back had far more SA than I and suspected something was up - he spotted the 104 in the mirror just as he went past the tower.. The 104 guy never saw us 😳

A couple of years I remember looking at a 104 in a hangar at Gutersloh that had had a mid-air with a Jaguar (I think part of the tail ended up in a swimming pool at Warendorf) his pitot was bent right back, little other damage - I recall the Jag guy (Who I subsequently worked on another Jag mid-air BOI with) did not even Realise what had happened until he landed at Bruggen..
Happy days
Hum, I think the 104 involved in that mid air was the one I previously mentioned which landed at 230 kts....he had lost his airspeed readout due to having no functional pitot after spearing the Jaguar through one of its tailerons, on pulling up from low level.