PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Impulse Pilots - What A Deal!
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2003, 12:12
Gnadenburg

Received 97 Likes on 42 Posts
Impulse Pilots - What A Deal!

A "friend" divulged the following.

LCC was always going to be Impulse and QF management massaged them into a realiasation it was theirs. At times it was tough competiton with mainline but a sacrificing of a rise in conditions and pay for concrete seniority the benefit.

The deal also outmanoeuvred the possible threat from former AN 320 drivers.

Included in the deal the following-

1) Senoirity 1-130 to Impulse drivers including those retrenched.

2) The inevitable Direct Entry Captains will be asked to shift seats after a few years when junior Impulse pilots gain experience.

3) Qantas will pay for the conversion of all Impulse drivers' onto the 320( well done ).

4) Impulse Check & Training will be responsible for this role and not the rumoured exAN.

5) The LCC will be able to compete with other QF business, such as mainline & Australian, for new and expanded operations. My "friend" believed this to be Trans-Tasman.

6) If widebodies can eventually work there will be no restrictions.

7) Current over 60 Impulse pilots WILL be converted.

8) Overtime and efficiency will be renumerated bringing their pay above VB-just.

Opinions?

Here is mine anyway. These guys have stitched up a deal that has put their security ahead of conditions. I felt they could have gone for current pay plus 5% or 10%. QF Management played them beautifully and offered security etc.

I understand the Impulse guys a bit better now in consideration of the pretty solid long term security package for ALL THEIR MEMBERS. AIPA food for thought?

Considering an un-employed Impulse driver will now be a 320 skipper in 3 years! I would feel warm and fuzzy if I were in that group.

I have witnessed the expedience and self-serving nature of the Ansett Pilot Association and anecdotal of AIPA and long haul etc. So that is the nature of my positive sentiments.

Hopes!

Jetstar will provide an opportunity to Empire build for the Impulse pilots. Don't ignore the market as the QF/VB pilots have done.

It can bite.

Impulse pilots have their 320 training paid for. So now absorb some of the market! The 320 qualified is drying up real quick and doing this will stabilise/improve conditions abroad and in an abstract way at home! There will be Impulse attrition to better paid overseas jobs and consequential crew replacing pressures, which help in EBA's - SO LOOK AFTER THAT MARKET!

Think laterally! Management wont want this as to have you proven and replacable, by the inexperienced, a powerful weapon-89, VB etc.

Good luck and NO I don't want to work for you! Realise the market!

Last edited by Gnadenburg; 5th Dec 2003 at 15:43.