PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A400 vs. gliders
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2020, 09:26
Bing

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bagheera S
It’s not that difficult;- The audio is no more than a pilot operating a radar advisory service where the ground controller calls the pilot out of blue with a target bearing;- With this they hear a computer generated voice and then look in the clock direction of the light on the matchbox sized display. Surely they can cope with that, bless em.

I amazed with the sensor kit available now you need any equipment upgrade;- military kit is highly optimised to find highly uncooperative targets, monitoring a massive band width, whereas these units are electrically screaming “Hi I’m here, I’ll even give you my GPS coordinates” on a well known frequency.
How do you get the computer generated voice into the pilot's ear? The one from the box of tricks won't be heard over the background noise in the cockpit of a fast jet or helicopter so you have to integrate it into the comms system, which is a whole thing in itself given TEMPEST testing requirements. Plus you'll probably be needing an external antenna as the amount of metal in most air-frames attenuates the signal too much which as detailed above is a nightmare to design.

Of course I'm amazed the GA world is insisting on using its own propriety standard when there are two internationally recognised ones available, so it looks like we can all play the over-simplifying someone else's problems game.