PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar disgrace
Thread: Qatar disgrace
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2020, 12:14
KeyPilot

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Clare Prop
So, because other countries' laws until relatively recently were similarly sexist and barbaric, that makes it OK?

Victim blaming used to be OK as well.

As has been said, those women were hardly there for a holiday, but were Australians who have been trying to come home for who knows how long. Maybe they had lost everything overseas, maybe they were coming back after dealing with family tragedies. Perhaps they had been living and working there or were passing through an international hub from other countries. If this airline was the only option to be able to come home after being bumped countless times at the cost of thousands of dollars then that doesn't justify what happened to them.

It wouldn't justify the same thing happening to men, either.

I can understand you want to get to the facts, I have posted a link where the victims have said what happened. One fact for sure, Australian women aren't going on frivolous holidays to Qatar
Hi Clare, thanks for your rather more considered message than most on this thread recently!

To answer your question, no, something which is wrong is always wrong no matter how, or what else is or was wrong. But at the same time, taking a "holier than thou" stance on other countries' laws and cultures is rarely fully justified, and I advocate a more balanced view where one considers the historical positions of both the countries in question, and our own.

One thing I think most of us here would agree on, is that there is clearly some failing of Australian public policy, in that citizens have to rely on other countries' airlines to return home at the moment.