PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alternatives to C210 or Malibu?
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2020, 18:42
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alternatives to C210 or Malibu?

I have an acquaintance looking for a single engine plane to buy. His requirements:

#1: His wife, who is ill with cancer, must be able to get in to the copilot seat. She has limited physical ability so overwing doors eg PA32R aren't suitable (they tried). Sometimes she can, other times it seems not. I've suggested a Lance or A36 Bonanza anyway with the idea that she can use the front seat while feeling well, and still easily get in the back when not so able.
2: 160 kt cruise or better. Possibly would accept up to 10 kts slower
3: Operate from a sealed 2700' strip, elev. 3100'. In USA southeast summer temps (Aerodrome is NC14 Boone, North Carolina.
4: Range ~500+nm to get from Orlando, FL to Boone. That's about 3hrs at 160kts. No fuel at Boone so the ability to go there directly, then hop over to nearby to get juice on the return is necessary. Alternatively get fuel on the way there and back, but it adds an extra stop and effort for his wife.
4: Turbocharged quite ok. Pressurisation too but not strictly necessary.

So far he's considered C210 & Piper Malibu. Can anyone think of equivalents? Even homebuilts/experimental. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything else.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 26th Oct 2020 at 18:59.