PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR and IR(R)
Thread: IR and IR(R)
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2020, 14:19
Fl1ingfrog

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Generally the 27 EU countries can't understand how you can complete the IMC in only 15 hours. The EASA course requires 50 hours for single engine and 55 hours for a multi-engine rating. The rest of the world requires 40 hours minimum training. One should always bear in mind that the minimum hours for all courses are just that. I agree with excrab that we should train to the published minima but note: the test only requires a descent to the recommended IMCr minima which is that published plus 200 ft but 500 ft for a precision and 600 ft for a non-precision approach.

The differences in the IMC from the IR course are substantial. The IR requires airways flight training and for all the instrument approaches that can be expected at an aerodrome; ILS, Localiser only, GPS derived approaches and of course the ubiquitous NDB.

The IMC rating does not require airways and the pilot is not required to cover more than one navigation aid including for the approach let down. Only two approaches are required and only one need to be pilot interpreted. Normally an SRA/PAR will be signed off during training with the pilot interpreted approach being part of the test. I have taught a number of NDB only courses including the let down and VOR only courses using a localiser approach for the test. Where the student wishes to cover all the aids normally found in light aircraft: VOR/ILS, NDB and DME I would normally expect the course to require at least 25 hours. Approved twin channel GPS units are being installed in large numbers and additional hours will be required to cover these.

The reason for EASA increasing the minimum hours of the respected world wide ICAO 40 hour IR course is beyond me. ICAO also allow credit from previous instrument training. The UK used to credit 10 hours of the IMC rating toward the 40. I understand that the FAA are even more generous.

Last edited by Fl1ingfrog; 25th Oct 2020 at 16:25.