PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Union under COS 18?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 02:51
reazasassain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree that over the years the union has been anything but successful in unifying the masses. Added there are no labor laws that protect the working class and this is what we had to consider when we moved half way around the world to take this job. I don’t know why we even signed a contract when you can be intimated with termination to sign over to a new COS that reduces your salary by a substantial sum and benefits slashed considerably. The pandemic is just the excuse CX needed to implement their plan of reducing over all costs for the long term.

Yes there has been cuts to other airlines around the world and there is a need to reduce costs but in most of those other countries they have plans to return their conditions of service back to normal when the economy recovers. However that will not be true in Hong Kong.

the one thing that the Union has going for it is that now we are all on the same contract. Maybe the union can unify and hopefully get their crap together so when the recovery happens in 2 years we can try to claw back some of these losses. And maybe this time a full scale labor action will be on the table.

But I suspect most have already started thinking about their exit strategy and when jobs return we’ll all have those long books updated and resumes polished. Cathay is nothing more than stepping stone.