PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tv series
Thread: Tv series
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2020, 05:08
bekolblockage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wunwing
The Bali example is a good one. QF commenced DPS services in the mid 70s taking over from Pan Am after their disastrous 1st into the Pacific add campaign.

There were 2x B707 services per week. Each B707 was configured at 20/120. Garuda ran DC8 50s at roughly the same configuration. So about 600 pax either way/week.
Looking at the flights by say Dec 2019 its easy to see why Bali went the way it did.

The crew got 3 or 4 day slips at the Hotel Bali Beach. That was pretty cruisy as well.

Wunwing.
My visit was less salubrious in the early 70s; flying on a Merpati Nusantara HS748 from Darwin via Kupang and staying in some thatched cottages on the edge of a then pristine Kuta Beach.

To my recollection, the Bali Beach Hotel was the only real International hotel at the time.

I returned 45 years later for an ICAO conference and was absolutely saddened and disgusted to see the desecration of the place and the behaviour of my fellow countrymen who treated the place no better than a public beer trough and place to vomit.

If that’s what you call the ‘advantages’ of low airfares , then you can keep them.
I’m sure someone will come on here and argue about the incredible tourist Dollars brought to the locals there.
I’m sure the original peaceful and pacifist mainly Hindu community then would roll back the clock if they could.