PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tv series
Thread: Tv series
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2020, 22:26
By George

Received 74 Likes on 18 Posts
To a point there is a tendency to romanticise the past, but in my opinion for very good reasons. Domestic flying today is just a series of nightmares and it is a horrible experience;

1. The curb side drop off or parking experience. Absolute chaos, expensive, push and shove with the obligatory high vis vest goon advising you to 'keep moving'.
2. Check-in and security. Humiliating, chaotic with security shouting out at nobody in particular. Beware of toothpaste and yogurt, lethal apparently.
3. Humiliating boarding process where one is socially divided according to the price of the ticket. "all the remaining passengers may now board". (Sneak past, doing my best leper impersonation.)
4. The seat pitch nightmare, overcrowded lockers as old mate brings half the garden shed with him.
5. Shrieking PA's that never shut up. "Hello Everybody" (very few Ladies and Gentlemen left, I guess.)
6. Having to listen to teenage girls covered in tattoo's with rings in their noses incapable of speaking more than two words without using 'Like'.
7. lunch being a biscuit or a muesli bar. (two minute noodles in Virgin Business class....sheeeeer luxury)
8. ATC delays
9. Agonising deplaning as previous old mate blocks the isle while searching through the overhead for his car keys.
10. The new 'Covid experience', being interviewed by the police on arrival.
11. The baggage carousel nightmare.
12 Finally, trying to get out the bloody door and being confronted by a taxi tout. Best Peter Sellers impersonation, "Taxi Sir, Taxi?" (bugger off)

No, I'm sorry the good old days were wonderful. My Mum dressed to the nines, complete with beauty case, white gloves and hat. My dad in a suit and tie and myself and my four brothers all dressed identically. Table clothes, stainless steel cutlery and plenty of space.
I would rather stick a needle in my eye than fly domestically as a passenger. I only do it because somebody is paying me.