PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A couple of VFR CAS questions for a new PPL holder
Old 19th Oct 2020, 14:44
thelowflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile A couple of VFR CAS questions for a new PPL holder

Hi all,
I've just recently received my shiny new private pilot's licence and with that I am looking to learn new things, increase my flying knowledge and venture further afield. One area in particular I want to focus on is improving my RT and understanding of who to talk to when and what to ask for.

During my PPL training (in Scotland) the only controlled airspace I have flown through (other than a MATZ) was the Edinburgh CTR once - I think this was essentially a tick-box exercise for the PPL syllabus. CAS was something we really didn't look at much considering the location I trained at is situated in Class G. On the two occasions I flew into the CTR, I requested a zone transit, got the standard "cleared to enter zone not above 2000" response from the controller and everything was very straight forward. I then left the CTR and headed towards Cumbernauld at 2500 remaining UNDER the EDI/GLA CTAs, so as not to infringe them.

This brings me to my first question - what would be the correct request if I wanted to enter and transit the CTA (not the CTR) from class G, rather than always being confined to flying underneath the zone? Obviously there is always the possibility of being refused entry but in a perfect world, what would the initial call from Class G look like whilst heading towards the CTA? Is it the same format: ie "G-ABCD request zone transit" and then providing route, or is there a different terminology for a CTA transit vs CTR.

Second question is, obviously I am aware that a clearance is not required to enter Class E, however anything I read states it is advisable to contact the ATS for that zone as a courtesy to alert them of your presence. What exactly is the best way to go about this? Again, using the Class E airspace above Dunblane/Stirling for example, is it ample to request a basic service from Glasgow, advise them of your routing and then enter the Class E without explicitly requesting permission, or would it be considered "correct" to request some kind of Class E transit (similar to requesting a MATZ penetration despite no obligation to do so)?

I may have my licence but the real learning has only just begun!

Last edited by thelowflyer; 19th Oct 2020 at 17:04.