PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tv series
Thread: Tv series
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2020, 11:46
deja vu

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by globex6000
Absolutely. Everyone always craps on about how much more luxurious flying was 'back in the day'.

Bollocks. Compare the cost of a seat in each, adjust for average income and see just how luxurious it really was. The true adjusted cost of an economy seat 30 or 40 years ago was more than a business class seat today. And business class today is more like 1st class 30 years ago. Most Those promotional photos from back then? They weren't taken in a plane, they were a photo studio. Half of them don't even have overhead bins or seat tracks.

What has changed is that low cost flying simply didn't exist back then. So people wonder why their economy flight to Bali than cost the equivalent of 3 days average pay isn't as nice as an economy flight from the 70's that cost 3 months wage.
What has the cost of a seat got to do with the level of luxury that was the norm "back in the day" 30 years ago was not back in the day, the rot had already set in by then.No it was in my case more like 50 plus years ago. It was an experience, to be looked forward to and enjoyed every second every time. Thats the point here.

There is no question its cheaper now than it was then based on lots of variables. However as a single guy in 1964/65 and earning about 18 pounds per week, frequently I would bowl out to Essendon and take a late Friday 727 flight to Brisbane or Sydney or Adelaide and return on Sunday night. I could afford it, there was no business class then so can't compare. Mind you I didn't have a $1000 mobile phone and a $200/month plan and Foxtel or health insurance or Stan and a cup of coffee/tea was sixpence and a sandwich 9 pence.

But seriously if I was offered a free domestic flight to anywhere in OZ today, I would avoid it like the plague.